Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Today’s Featured Artist – Freddy Torres

 
While reminiscing about the old days and thinking about the salsa musicians that made it happen I couldn’t help but wonder whatever happened to some of them. Back in the 1970s, there was a young bass player playing the salsa circles named Joe “Poruco.” I believe his real name was Joe Torres but everyone called him “Poruco” – I hope I am spelling it correctly. Anyway, Joe was a southpaw (lefty) who played a right handed bass. You really needed to hear him to understand what I am talking about. Joe was a damn good bass player. He played the Ampeg Baby Bass with a quickness I had not seen in Latin bass players and worked with many of the bands of the day. He had a great swing and was very personable. For whatever reason, Joe eventually drifted from the Chicago salsa scene. During one of our conversations I remember Joe telling me about his kid brothers. He said that they were really talented and were starting to play gigs on a regular basis. I remember him telling me that one was Edwin, who played timbales, and the other one was Freddy, who also played bass. Some time after our conversation I had an occasion to check them both out. Although they were kids, you could see that they had natural talent and they were really good. At the time, they were playing in a group with their father, another great musician. Over the years, I again ran into one of the brothers. Freddy was now an accomplished bass player with a similar style to “Poruco’s” and was making a name for himself in the Salsa circles. Every now and then, you run into one of these musicians that can play just about any instrument they get their hands on. I am sure everyone knows somebody in their family that is made up that way - great musical genes. Anyway, as the years went by, I saw this young man play the bass, trumpet, piano, and guitar. The thing is that he was really good at all of them. He could literally do a recording playing all the instruments. I am not sure what his vocal chops are like but as far as his playing he is one of the best. Freddy Torres did time with many of the Salsa bands of the day but is better known as a free lance bassist. As with many of the good salsa musicians however, Freddy eventually moved from Chicago. I am sure that wherever he is today, he is still swinging that bass, trumpet, piano, guitar and whatever he gets his hands on. I wish him luck. If anyone can give us an update on Freddy Torres, Joe, or his brother, Edwin, please drop us a line so we can let everyone know. This group of brothers played a key role in the salsa scene from the 70s through the 90s. I recently found a video on Youtube featuring Freddy Torres playing a bass solo during a visit at Humboldt Park in Chicago and linked it four your listening pleasure. Check it out.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

whatever happened to Joe Torres, pianist for Willie Colon

Borinqueno Con Sabor said...

I too remember listening to him during the old Willie Colon years. His solos during the early Willie Colon albums have become a long lasting memory. He had a great style – a smooth cat. In my opinion he was the best pianist Willie ever had. I often wondered myself where he is today. I did a little searching and found that this Bronx Newyorican is still active in the Latin/ jazz circles. One site mentioned that he is teaching at Palombo Music in the Bronx. Just this past summer New York singer Renzo Padilla reunited the original members of the Hector Lavoe band for a concert. Professor Joe Torres was among the musicians who played the set. Its good to know he is still around.