Sunday, March 6, 2011

Judy and Ralph

 
Every now and then I get in a nostalgic mood and wander into the past when the salsa clubs and venues were buzzing with excitement. I remember the echo of the dance halls and the skill of the dancers, putting their own signatures on their style of spinning as the trumpets blared on. There were many regulars that followed the Latin scene back then. I am talking about the 1970s in Chicago of course and if you followed the salsa scene back in the day you can’t help but remember Judy and Ralph. Judy and Ralph was an Anglo dance couple that appeared at all the dance events and night clubs. Judy (I don’t recall her last name but may have been Loeb) was a Jewish artist by day and professional salsa dancer by night. She often appeared at these venues accompanied by a gentleman named Ralph. I never did know his last name but if you ever were at any of these events you had to have seen them. At the time they were well into their years but that did not stop them from pursuing their love for salsa dancing. In many instances they were as popular as the band and had their own following. Today I wonder what ever happened to this couple. I am interested to see if anyone still remembers them or can update us on whatever became of them. If anyone out there knows please fell free to post a comment so we can update everyone else.

No comments: