Friday, February 4, 2011

The Latin Village Night Club in Lincoln Park

During the 1980s, Singer/ Musician Vitin Santiago opened the Latin Village Night Club on Lincoln Avenue. The club was one of many that offered live salsa from Thursdays through the weekend. In its heyday, the Latin Village was one of the most popular clubs in the Latin scene hosting an assortment of good salsa bands. Vitin Santiago, a former bandleader, would sing with the bands on occasion and would feature artists from New York, Puerto Rico and Cuba. His club was a class operation with a strict dress code. This was the kind of place to take your lady for wine, dance and romance. "Vitin," as they called him was strict but that was expected for this kind of place. The club had class. Those were the days. If anyone has any Latin Village memories, feel free to add a comment so we can relive the experience.

8 comments:

boricua said...

What was the address?

boricua said...

Does anyone out there know the address of that great place - Latin Village in Lincoln Park?

Joe

Borinqueno Con Sabor said...

I believe the club was just above street level at 2528 N. Lincoln Avenue in Chicago. I think it is some kind of office now.

Anonymous said...

I met my best friend and the love of my life there in February 1978.

Anonymous said...

OMG!! lol..This pic just made my day. Luis 'Prieto" Rosario el timbalero is my hubby!!! I've never seen this picture. I love it!! Does anyone else out there have any other pic's to share. I'm making a music legacy scrapbook for him n need more more more!!!
Que VIVA la SALSA en Chicago n GOD BLESS all our Chicago musician's including mine. Live bands need our support. Go see them every chance you get.

Borinqueno Con Sabor said...

Luis "Prieto" was and still is one of the premier drummers/ Latin percussionists in the Chicago Latin/ Jazz scene. He is a true gentleman and professional. I will ask around to see what I can come up with but don't know if there are any more pics around. Send me an email address in the event I find something. Thanks for the comment.

Pete Davis said...

Very cool pic - the band looks like Sonora Tropical, which used to play at the Chateau Latino on Fullerton. I used to play trumpet with them circa 1980. I also played for a while with Vitin's house band at the Latin Village. A fine man, and excellent band leader. Back in the day...

Borinqueno Con Sabor said...

You are right Pete. That is the same band. The band in the pic is La Orquesta Tropical. They were originally La Sonora Tropical from the Chateau Latino. They were the house band at the Chateau and later the Latin Village for many years. They were also known as La Tropical. Good to know you played with them. I know that several well known trumpet players played with the band from time to time. I hope you are still playing. Thanks for your comment.