Saturday, June 18, 2011

Hector Nunez at Humboldt Park

 
As I neared Humboldt Park while going to the festivities celebrating Puerto Rican week, I could hear the swing of the bass. As I got closer, the horn section blared and the singer went into his “soneo.” I recognized the voice of Hector Nunez right away. It was a blast from the past and reminded me of the days when Hector and other singers routinely performed at outdoor salsa venues in and around Humboldt Park. When I finally entered the park I could see spectators dressed in full Puerto Rican garb dancing on the grass. The smell of food was in the air and everyone appeared to be enjoying Hector’s performance. The band, I was told, was a collection of local musicians who were contracted to back up most of the singers who were to perform at the park through the weekend. I did not know many of them but did recognize some from the old days. The two besides Hector I did recognize was Freddie Rodriguez on trumpet and Jesus “Papiro” Vera, who was on maracas singing coro. “Papiro,” if you don’t know, is one of the city’s best timbaleros. There is a video of him on YouTube playing a timbal solo. It is worth checking out. It is a little dated (1970s) but it is still worth looking at. Freddie Rodriguez is a true salsa veteran with impressive credentials. It was great seeing and hearing them again. This is salsa in the windy city at its best. Que viva la salsa!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hector is now a Christian preacher. Has not changed much as a person.

Borinqueno Con Sabor said...

To Anonymous (August 3rd), Your comment was slightly edited to avoid liability issues. this blog is a not for profit venture, In other words, we can't afford to defend what we post in court. Thanks for the comment though. I appreciate the update.