Saturday, January 7, 2012

Charlie Burgos


In the days of early Chicago salsa, the band that started it all here in my opinion anyway was La Justicia. The band had a huge following and inspired many a young Chicago Hispanic musician to play salsa music. All the band members were young, talented and enthusiastic. Among the band members was multi-talented trombonist Charlie Burgos. Charlie not only played trombone, he also did occasional vocals and composed his own songs. Earlier I posted a video of a Charlie Burgos composition entitled, “That’s No Sweat,” which not only was a great crossover tune but represented many of the urban Latinos of that time who spoke little or no Spanish. His composition was a way for little Spanish speaking Hispanics to enjoy salsa and still understand the lyrics. Recently I was made aware that Charlie Burgos had passed away. This is a great loss for Chicago salsa. In his memory I am asking if anyone can tell us a little more about him. We are looking for any pictures, songs or general stories about him and his role in Chicago’s old school salsa. Any posts would be appreciated.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi! I am one of Charlie's sisters. I am so honor that you acknowledge one of Chicagos best singer and composer. Please leave me a message in my inbox, if you need anything. My name is Xiomara Burgos.

Ruben DelValle said...

Charlie was not only a great musician and a grandeur brother in law, he was a great friend. He had a heart as big as he was, always there for me when ever I had questions about life being he was source of philosophical knowledge. Being the only male in the house he always espoused knowledge. I vividly remember driving to gigs with him and just kicking it before curtain time. He was always writing music, he had writing tablet or better stated an old school notebook full of songs and he was always jotting lyrics down. He always had a big smile on is face, and when I'd come over to pick up Linda he'd jump in the car and say lets cruise around. I will always miss Charlie, he's in heaven writing music when the guys driving the choir angels crazy, being he waswhen true to music. I have many stories of Charlie, some crazy some deep, but I can truly say none are bad in amy way the majority are funny some extremely hilarious. If anything the most important thing I would like to convey is to his children, and that is their father wasan incredible man full of life.

Anonymous said...

Hello my name is Pedro Arroyo I am a bongo player who play with la Nuestra for a short time. Also I play with Carlos Caribe Ruiz band too. I new Charlie Burgos. After the band finish playing at time i am the one who give Charlie a ride home. He was something else what a wonderful person he is. I remember when the band let me go he was the one who came to my rescue he said "keep your head up you are going to be one of the good ones just keep practicing" And that i did Thank You Charlie may you R.I.P " that's no Sweat" love you papa