Monday, March 7, 2011

Charlie Burgos and La Nuestra sing, “That’s No Sweat” – A Chicago old school salsa gem.

During the 1980s salsa bands in Chicago were plentiful. In addition to the established salsa bands during that era many more continued to form. This was partly due to the efforts of Carlos “Caribe” Ruiz, the founder of El Congreso Puertoriqueno on North Avenue. Through his Civic Organization, “Caribe,” as most people called him, continued to indoctrinate youths into salsa by way of his sponsorship of young salsa bands. “Caribe” eventually formed his own record company named “Ebirac” (Caribe backwards). “Caribe” would tote boxes containing recordings of many of the young bands he sponsored and would sell them at the many dances his bands played. In doing so, Caribe gave many youth a first time experience in making records. Many of the recordings were not studio quality but served as a way to create a fan base among the many teens that followed the bands. While doing my research on these “Caribe” bands I came across a single recorded by a band named, “La Nuestra,” one of the Caribe bands.  The title of the tune is, “That’s No Sweat,” written and sung by vocalist Charlie Burgos. “That’s No Sweat” is an original tune recorded by “La Nuestra.” If you can ignore the quality of the recording you will treat yourself to a very good Spanish/English crossover salsa tune. The lyrics and melody are very good and remind me of Fania’s star Joe Bataan. Bataan became popular in New York for Latinizing Soul music. He was one of the New York salsa artists who had success in doing the Spanish/ English crossover. I don’t know what ever happened to La Nuestra or the talented Charlie Burgos but I managed to copy a little bit of the tune for you to sample. If only Caribe would have stayed around a little longer. It looked like he was on the right track. Listen and enjoy!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Charlie passed away a few years ago, im his oldest son Anthony Burgos & i didnt really know much about him but am really intrested in what songs he wrote & sang if any one knew him & any history please contact me @ roco625@yahoo.com..Thanks

Borinqueno Con Sabor said...

Anthony, all I recall is that he was La Justicia's trombonist who also did occasional vocals and coro. I believe that the group, "La Nuestra," was a spin-off group of La Justicia of which he was one of the principle components. He was a driving force during the early salsa days in Chicago which is evident by his song, "That's No Sweat." In a different day with much improved recording and management opportunities he would have certainly risen to the top. Charlie was unique and you should be proud. I believe there are still some old "Justicia" band members around that may be able to give us a little more on Charlie. I'll post something on it. Thanks for the comment.

Durham Skywriter said...

I'm enjoying your blog — good job! I'm glad someone is memorializing the history of salsa in Chicago. I used to play rhythm guitar in one of Caribe's groups, Tipica Leal '79. Thanks for keeping the memories alive! I've got a half-dozen Ebirac 45s and I'll treasure them always … Those were good times. :)

patricia A murray

Borinqueno Con Sabor said...

I remember Tipica Leal. They were one of the younger groups I recall that had a refreshing salsa style. Its hard to duplicate the experience of that time in words. You really had to have lived it. Caribe planted the seeds for many of today's accomplished musicians. I would like to know what ever happened to Leal's band members. Thanks for the comment.

Unknown said...

My name is Antonio Morales, I'm one of the trombonist from Caribes bands back in the late 70's, La Juventud Tipica 78. When La Tipica 78 left the Puerto Rican Congress Caribe formed a new group La Tipica Leal 79 which I was one of the original members. I'm still performing today backing up artist that come into town. I'm with a group from Elgin , Illinois called Projecto 7 which has a couple of members from Caribes Puerto Rican Congress. Arturo Vasquez - trombonist played with the group La Union and Johnny Placeres - congas, was also one of the original members of La Tipica Leal 79.

Borinqueno Con Sabor said...

Thanks for the update. It's great to hear that you guys kept it alive. Today's younger Latin musicians can learn alot from the veterans from back in the day. I appreciate your comment. I will add the musicians you mentioned to the list of Chicago's past/ present salsa musicians.